As many of you know, I am a reader. I love a good book. My primary goal is to get one good idea from each book. Learn something new or discover a different way to think about a problem. One good idea is enough. However, occasionally I run into a book that is so full of useful ideas and wisdom that it becomes a permanent part of my library. This is one of those books.
The book I am talking about is Many Miles To Go by Brian Tracy. Not only is this a wonderfully readable parable of the many challenges doers face during their pursuits, it is also personally powerful to me as I embark on building another business – FranchiseResales.com. Every adventure worth pursuing takes a significant amount of tenancy and bullheadedness. This book puts it all in perspective in a readable format that makes you want to turn the page.
The 7 Principles for Lifelong Success from Many Miles to Go.
- Do Something. The most important step in achieving success in any endeavor is deciding and then launching. You must act. You must move. Until you act, nothing has been achieved.
- Never Consider the possibility of failure. Success is achieved when the leader refuses to fold even when the going gets rough. Always forward, never backward.
- One Step at a Time. All goals can be accomplished if you just take it one step at a time. Don’t worry about the grand plan, just take the next step, and the step after that. Don’t stop.
- Avoid Naysayers!. Avoid naysayers who will tell you it is not possible, or you will fail. Naysayers never achieve anything. Instead, associate with people who will empower you and make you stronger. Surround yourself with winners.
- Welcome obstacles and difficulties as valuable and unavoidable steps on the ladder of success. Remember, difficulties come not to obstruct but to instruct.
- Remain Flexible. Be clear about your goal but flexible about how to achieve it. Be willing to try new approaches or embrace new ideas. Flexibility is a key quality of peak performers.
- Nobody does it alone. As George Shinn wrote, “There is no such thing as a self-made man. You will reach your goals only with the help of others.” Never forget those who helped you. They are a powerful part of your journey.
As you embark on this New Year, buy a copy of Many Miles to Go by Brian Tracy. It will become a part of your permanent library also.